All 1,666 audio Reviews

In Memory of Buoy In Memory of Buoy

Turns out that this dumb thing has made people think I was actually dead. See http://buoy.newgrounds.com/news/post/961137#comments and http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/588957, as well as my PMs. On second thought do not see my PMs. Anyway, I am here to confirm that this is indeed the case. I am now a spooky ghost, booo.

~SW~ Colorless ~SW~ Colorless

I found the atmosphere and this to be incredible... haunting, ominous, huge.

SkyeWint responds:

Dude, Omnisphere is amazing.

Thanks a lot for the review.

Four Brave Champions (CS) Four Brave Champions (CS)

Doing this kind of jazz version of a heavy orchestral soundtrack is an interesting choice, and the main melody works pretty allright in this setting. The main problem is that the mix needs work - the cymbals and hats are very heavy and the chords from the piano+sax get buried beneath the drums and the main melody. Some of the instruments also sound too sterile and midi-like. So I imagine this arrangement could sound brilliant if sounds/mixing aspects were reworked.

flying around (chips) flying around (chips)

You get an extra point for using potato chips as an instrument for the sake of a pun. This is really the entry that sounds the most like a 'cover' in the classical sense, and it's also completely different from the original. It sounds so lo-fi and almost haphazard that I'm not sure what I should think, but I just personally adore this
9.1/10

lasse responds:

neato, thanks for the review

Pick Me Up Baby (Cover) Pick Me Up Baby (Cover)

The main issue with this cover is that structure-wise, it is largely a carbon copy of the original with replaced instruments. Hence the only new elements of this version is the rock band instrumentation. That part is done very well though - it has a nice, fat and wide mix of tight guitars, good vocals and a drum beat that somewhat keeps the spirit of the original.

xKore-Entropy (Masq Rmx) xKore-Entropy (Masq Rmx)

What strikes me about this is that it sounds really coherent, the samples from the original are mixed so well with your instruments that it's not clear where the original ends and yours begins. The FM-y bass fits in very well (it tends to be a bit dominant in your earlier tracks). Generally this track sounds more large and atmospheric than xkore's. It doesn't venture very far away from the original in terms of mood and structure and everything, so I think there's potential to be even more adventurous.

The Genocide The Genocide

Woah, that was unexpected. Different tempo, completely different style and set of instruments. That slap bass is siiiiiiiiick. It hits amazingly hard at 1:45 (that part has way too much of the high frequencies though), and the calm part afterwards is groovy as hell. Other than some issues with mild distortion and the high frequencies, the mix is good too. Congratulations, this is a great cover which really surpasses what I though one could plausibly do with the original.

SourJovis responds:

Thank you for your review. Glad you like the slap bass. I like it too. I took your comments to heart, and I made an alternate mix with less high frequencies, removed much of the mild distortion. It does sound a little less loud and bombastic, but it's more pleasant to the ears. You could listen to it to see which one you like better. The link is in the description.

Sea of Grass (Jazz) Sea of Grass (Jazz)

Hm, I could barely recognize the original theme in there until about 1:38. That said, this is a wonderful and very authentic jazz guitar piece! Some of the harmonies are just incredible. This is certainly a favorite song of mine in its own right. The low-key minimalist approach works great here.

SilverPoyozo responds:

Thank you so much!Sadly it felt very incomplete and disjointed as others have stated, but still...I really tried to make justice to the original song.And I hope I did.

Sleep Wrapped in Love ~ T Sleep Wrapped in Love ~ T

This is a really beautiful version of the original, the piano in particular. Adding your own vocals is a great way to make it your own, and apart from a few off notes and the thin recording it sounds fine. You've changed the time signature and done major changes to the melody as well, but the chords and the general melodic quality is still there, so the original is still recognizable.

Sitting (Acoustic Cover) Sitting (Acoustic Cover)

You've managed to turn an originally glitchy and gloomy track into a clean, beautiful piece with a sorrowful vibe that strongly reminds me of early 00's Porcupine Tree. The different string instruments combine to a lovely smooth twinkling texture. The vocal harmonies are perfect for this. Still, it keeps the same mood and intensity throughout and doesn't have that bit of magic that would take it to a whole new level.