Be a Supporter!

Main News Movies Games Audio Art Favorites Reviews Stats 1,099 Fans

1,224 audio Reviews with Responses

~SW~ Colorless ~SW~ Colorless

Rated 5 / 5 stars May 29, 2013

I found the atmosphere and this to be incredible... haunting, ominous, huge.

SkyeWint responds:

Dude, Omnisphere is amazing.

Thanks a lot for the review.

flying around (chips) flying around (chips)

Rated 4.5 / 5 stars April 27, 2013

You get an extra point for using potato chips as an instrument for the sake of a pun. This is really the entry that sounds the most like a 'cover' in the classical sense, and it's also completely different from the original. It sounds so lo-fi and almost haphazard that I'm not sure what I should think, but I just personally adore this
9.1/10

lasse responds:

neato, thanks for the review

The Genocide The Genocide

Rated 5 / 5 stars April 27, 2013

Woah, that was unexpected. Different tempo, completely different style and set of instruments. That slap bass is siiiiiiiiick. It hits amazingly hard at 1:45 (that part has way too much of the high frequencies though), and the calm part afterwards is groovy as hell. Other than some issues with mild distortion and the high frequencies, the mix is good too. Congratulations, this is a great cover which really surpasses what I though one could plausibly do with the original.

SourJovis responds:

Thank you for your review. Glad you like the slap bass. I like it too. I took your comments to heart, and I made an alternate mix with less high frequencies, removed much of the mild distortion. It does sound a little less loud and bombastic, but it's more pleasant to the ears. You could listen to it to see which one you like better. The link is in the description.

Sea of Grass (Jazz) Sea of Grass (Jazz)

Rated 4.5 / 5 stars April 27, 2013

Hm, I could barely recognize the original theme in there until about 1:38. That said, this is a wonderful and very authentic jazz guitar piece! Some of the harmonies are just incredible. This is certainly a favorite song of mine in its own right. The low-key minimalist approach works great here.

SilverPoyozo responds:

Thank you so much!Sadly it felt very incomplete and disjointed as others have stated, but still...I really tried to make justice to the original song.And I hope I did.

FD - Dreams FD - Dreams

Rated 5 / 5 stars April 27, 2013

Okay yeah this is a fantastically elaborate version of a fairly forgettable track. There's just so much new content and it's all of great quality. I got a mild headache from listening to the original but you managed to take out the important part of it. The spoken parts are very disturbing and add a whole new layer and backstory to the track.

ForgottenDawn responds:

Thank you very much for your review, I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)
Happy Pico Day

GoreBastard responds:

Indeeeed!

-Spacewalk- -Spacewalk-

Rated 4 / 5 stars March 25, 2013

So glad to hear that the piano is now genuinely playing by the same rules as all the other instruments. The echoing thing at 0:32 was great. This has a nice drive to it, nice drums that are varied and still sensible, and even good melodies in some places. The metroid prime thing MIGHT be because you use the same midi-like choir :) Transition before 1:46 was lovely. Sweet! Nice way to start the year

Step responds:

Yep, this is when Blackhole12 told me to get rid of that limiter, and I'm so glad he did!

I'm proud of the main melody in this track; sometimes I milk it too much and some parts in this kinda suck, but the main melody itself is quite decent. And the drums are all of a sudden so much better, yeah, and I started using drum filters properly.

I did overuse that "stop playing the song for a bar" transition thing though :3.

-Ready for Battle- -Ready for Battle-

Rated 3.5 / 5 stars March 25, 2013

Yay for a recurring theme! Even if it's out of key half of the time! I too am looking forward to the point where you get EWQL. Your instrumentation is coming together, with a bunch of different instruments complementing each other in a nice way.

Step responds:

Mhmm the instruments are actually complementing each other rather nicely here, especially in the "question-answer" melodies. Even if the instruments sound like absolute crap.

I think this might be my first every full orchestral track, so it may just be what started it all! Now listen to Morning Horizon, the NEXT orchestral song I did except with East/West instruments, and not only did the quality improve tenfold, but the melodies magically start harmonising, the music magically starts to make sense and it's actually NOT THAT BAD.

(MSCI) Ending Credits (MSCI) Ending Credits

Rated 2.5 / 5 stars March 25, 2013

There's actually some mildly complex and sensible stuff going on in the piano, sounds like you just drew it into the sequencer though, since it's so heavily quantized. Everything that's going on feels pretty random, like why are you switching between completely different drum patterns every fourth bar, that's disorienting.

Step responds:

"Same piano volume wildness again. I don't know how or why you're doing this to me."

Blame the limiter in the master channel, not the playa.

The reason the drums are changing beat all the time is because I had the same obsession with variety that I have today, except today I make sure the variety makes sense and back then I was like VARIETY VARIETY VARIETY.

Night in the Forest Night in the Forest

Rated 2 / 5 stars March 25, 2013

Piano is more subdued this time. Sweet.

at least that's what I thought until 0:19 when you just brutally increased the volume of it so it sounded something like ONE OF THOSE FUCKING FEVER FANTASIES WHERE YOU HEAR VOICES THAT GET LOUDER AND LOUDER AND YOU JUST FEEL AWFUL BECAUSE YOU HAVE A FUCKING FEVER AND YOU CAN'T SLEEP

I'm done with this.

neat unintentional dorian mode at 2:14 though

Step responds:

Hahaha I love this review. I can imagine you listening to the piano all subdued and you're all content, then the arpeggio comes in and it starts getting higher and higher in volume and in the meantime you put your arms out and you're like "no no NO NO WHERE ARE YOU GOING, YOU WERE FINE BEFORE, GO BACK TO HOW YOU WERE NO NO NO SCREW YOU STEP"

I kinda like the melodies in this track, despite it being so old. They sound pretty cool when I play them on my piano, and I might just record myself playing them with my newfound microphone and make a whole track out of them. I dunno!

"neat unintentional dorian mode at 2:14 though"

WHAT DO YOU MEAN, I KNEW EXACTLY WHAT I WAS DOING.