1,217 audio Reviews with Responses

~ES & SW~ Center of the Rainbow ~ES & SW~ Center of the Rainbow

Good music. The harmony is fun (but not very varied). The melody is sometimes solid, but in some places it's just kind of slavishly following the chord progression and not really holding up on its own. Nice sounds and mix, with the snappy drums, juicy filtered synths, tasty basslines and all. I think the song would be much stronger if you compacted it down to 4 minutes or even less by cutting a lot of the ambient noodling in the first half, because it takes ages to get going. The longer version makes for good background music though.

SkyeWint responds:

Oh damn, hey man! Where have you been?

Sadly, that is the case in the beginning. Maybe if we had the time to make a more consistent and developed theme, that would have been awesome. This was about 5 days of writing and 2 days of mixing.

Oh well. It's good to see ya, glad that you enjoyed it at least! (btw, i have another song you might enjoy more which I did alone but spent a lot more time on - Reflection.)

YOU KNOW WHAT!? YOU KNOW WHAT!?

This is music.

Father-of-Death responds:

That's true.

~SW~ Colorless ~SW~ Colorless

I found the atmosphere and this to be incredible... haunting, ominous, huge.

SkyeWint responds:

Dude, Omnisphere is amazing.

Thanks a lot for the review.

flying around (chips) flying around (chips)

You get an extra point for using potato chips as an instrument for the sake of a pun. This is really the entry that sounds the most like a 'cover' in the classical sense, and it's also completely different from the original. It sounds so lo-fi and almost haphazard that I'm not sure what I should think, but I just personally adore this
9.1/10

lasse responds:

neato, thanks for the review

The Genocide The Genocide

Woah, that was unexpected. Different tempo, completely different style and set of instruments. That slap bass is siiiiiiiiick. It hits amazingly hard at 1:45 (that part has way too much of the high frequencies though), and the calm part afterwards is groovy as hell. Other than some issues with mild distortion and the high frequencies, the mix is good too. Congratulations, this is a great cover which really surpasses what I though one could plausibly do with the original.

SourJovis responds:

Thank you for your review. Glad you like the slap bass. I like it too. I took your comments to heart, and I made an alternate mix with less high frequencies, removed much of the mild distortion. It does sound a little less loud and bombastic, but it's more pleasant to the ears. You could listen to it to see which one you like better. The link is in the description.

Sea of Grass (Jazz) Sea of Grass (Jazz)

Hm, I could barely recognize the original theme in there until about 1:38. That said, this is a wonderful and very authentic jazz guitar piece! Some of the harmonies are just incredible. This is certainly a favorite song of mine in its own right. The low-key minimalist approach works great here.

SilverPoyozo responds:

Thank you so much!Sadly it felt very incomplete and disjointed as others have stated, but still...I really tried to make justice to the original song.And I hope I did.

FD - Dreams FD - Dreams

Okay yeah this is a fantastically elaborate version of a fairly forgettable track. There's just so much new content and it's all of great quality. I got a mild headache from listening to the original but you managed to take out the important part of it. The spoken parts are very disturbing and add a whole new layer and backstory to the track.

ForgottenDawn responds:

Thank you very much for your review, I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)
Happy Pico Day
//FD

Black 'n' Decker Fanny Wr Black 'n' Decker Fanny Wr

what the fuck

GoreBastard responds:

Indeeeed!

-Spacewalk- -Spacewalk-

So glad to hear that the piano is now genuinely playing by the same rules as all the other instruments. The echoing thing at 0:32 was great. This has a nice drive to it, nice drums that are varied and still sensible, and even good melodies in some places. The metroid prime thing MIGHT be because you use the same midi-like choir :) Transition before 1:46 was lovely. Sweet! Nice way to start the year

Step responds:

Yep, this is when Blackhole12 told me to get rid of that limiter, and I'm so glad he did!

I'm proud of the main melody in this track; sometimes I milk it too much and some parts in this kinda suck, but the main melody itself is quite decent. And the drums are all of a sudden so much better, yeah, and I started using drum filters properly.

I did overuse that "stop playing the song for a bar" transition thing though :3.

-Ready for Battle- -Ready for Battle-

Yay for a recurring theme! Even if it's out of key half of the time! I too am looking forward to the point where you get EWQL. Your instrumentation is coming together, with a bunch of different instruments complementing each other in a nice way.

Step responds:

Mhmm the instruments are actually complementing each other rather nicely here, especially in the "question-answer" melodies. Even if the instruments sound like absolute crap.

I think this might be my first every full orchestral track, so it may just be what started it all! Now listen to Morning Horizon, the NEXT orchestral song I did except with East/West instruments, and not only did the quality improve tenfold, but the melodies magically start harmonising, the music magically starts to make sense and it's actually NOT THAT BAD.